SOVAMM was founded in 1990 as an association of professionals and those interested in vernacular heritage. The main aims of SOVAMM are:
• the study of rural space and the parts of the
countryside (cultural landscape, settlements, buildings) and those activities in the rural
space which have influenced its appearance.
• The protection and preservation of historic regional diversity, respectively its renewal and saving for the future.
• the study of he social and cultural development and the present state of villages and small towns
• study, documentation and help to the protection, preservation and renewal af all values of individual buildings and the whole preserved historic sites including their layout and neighbouring cultural landscape.
• promoting the local social integrity in its social, economic and cultural aspects through the public awareness of the importance of cultural heritage.
SOVAMM has individual members. Those are professional as well as amateurs and sponsors who are agreed with the programme of this association and who have reached imporant results in the field of its interest. At present SOVAMM has several tens members from the whole territory of the Czech Republic. The president of SOVAMM is ing. arch. Jiří Syrový from Brno.
It has been working on several projects supported by grants by the Czech Grant Agency and the Ministry of Culture – for example The Atlas of Folk Architecture in the Czech Republic, the Documentation of Vernacular Buildings in the Litomyšl and Nové Mýto Regions. It also participates in the international research project on earthen buildings.
Several members worked out many analysing studies of rural sites and individual vernacular buildings. The important are the regulation plans of some preserved historic settlements.
SOVAMM is the member of the international nongovernmental organization ECOVAST and of other associations.
The Secretary of SOVAMM:
ing. arch. Zuzana Syrová, Kuršova 30, CZ-635 00 Brno-Bystrc,
tel./fax: +420-546 212 723